Monday, September 17, 2012

the alternative to cable

Right after we got married, we decided not to splurge on things like, you know, internet and cable TV.

We didn't have any internet for a couple months. It was actually nice. And instead of cable, we had a digital antenna for local channels and like 500 movies because Aaron owns a lot of movies.

In August 2010, my parents bought me a new phone for a college graduation present. We paid for the data plan, and we added an internet hotspot for an extra $10 a month. Cheap internet, lousy internet mostly, but internet nonetheless.

That worked okay for awhile. We could use our laptops as long as I was home with my phone and it decided to work well. And we started paying for Netflix so we could stream instantly to our Wii. Very slowly, I might add.

After about six months, we had about as much of the hotspot as we could take though. We finally forked over the extra $20 a month to pay for reliable internet access and got rid of the hotspot on my phone.

That was a good move.

But, we didn't get cable TV. And we still don't have it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having cable, but I'm really glad we don't. It would actually be quite a waste of money for us.

We only care about a handful of shows that come on the air. And we both hate watching sports.

So, we still have a digital antenna to watch Gordon Ramsey shows and a few others that we enjoy on local channels. We also bought an AppleTV a couple years ago that streams Netflix, Hulu Plus, iTunes, and other fun things. We have a ROKU box too. Which is a better deal than AppleTV, but I think the interface is more confusing. Also, if you have other Apple products, they can stream things to the AppleTV. I suppose if you do not have Apple products, a ROKU is a much better option.

Anyway, if you have been thinking about getting rid of cable, join our club! It's fun! I promise!

Although, I guess if you REALLY like sports, you're probably out of luck...sorry...


No comments:

Post a Comment