Friday, September 28, 2012

a Friday flashback

Aaron and I are going on four years of being together as a couple. We've had many adventures together, and I look forward to years and years of many more adventures with him!

Let's hear about one of those adventures today...


Flashback to...2009...

In the summer of 2009, Aaron and I went on a date in downtown Raleigh one sunny afternoon. We parked at the Raleigh Convention Center and took the free circulation bus (the R Line) over to Glenwood Avenue to eat lunch. It's a short ride, but a pretty long walk. About 20 blocks or so at a diagonal. I don't really know. But, we were about to find out.

We ate at one of our favorite restaurants (that, unfortunately, doesn't exist anymore) called Hi-5. And as we were eating, the sky started to look quite ominous. 

We hurried through our meal and figured we had better catch that bus back to our car before the storm started!

We walked outside, and the wind had really picked up! Just as we got to the bus stop, it started...

A monsoon of rain.

The bus, which came through every 15-20 minutes, was already passed and on its way up the street.

We tried to hide under the cover of an awning on the building next to the bus stop, but the wind just blew the rain under.

We were soaked in just minutes.

It wasn't thundering or lightning, so we decided we might as well start the walk to the car. By the time we waited for the bus, we could be almost there!

We started up Glenwood Avenue, which is a pretty steady uphill slope. We were about halfway up, it was still pouring, when all of a sudden, I accidentally stepped out of my flip flop.

Before I could even bend down to grab it, off it floated down the hill.

Yes, floated. I told you it was a monsoon!

Aaron was up ahead of me about 10 steps.

"Aaron! My flip flop!"

"What?!"

"My flip flop! It's floating away!"

Being the good boyfriend that he was, he took off down the hill after my flip flop.

He chased it down the sidewalk, and he was just about to catch it, when it took a sudden turn and crossed the street!

Under the cars driving by it went!

By the time Aaron could cross the street, my flip flop had gone down a monsoon waterfall towards the next block where the train tracks were. He lost sight of it, and it was gone.

He came sulking back to me.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't catch it."

"That's okay...it was just from Old Navy."

Of course, the rain stopped then. 




No comments:

Post a Comment