Thursday, September 13, 2012

about how (not) handy we are

Aaron and I went to Home Depot last Saturday to do some dreaming and planning for our house. We moved into our house a little over a year ago, and it has come a long way since then! We have put it together piece by piece and it is still a work in progress...I guess a house always is!

We love our house. It's definitely home.

While it is perfectly fine the way it is, there's nothing wrong with dreaming a planning, right?!

In the future, we would love to add... 

  • a back deck that is screened in
  • new carpet up the stairs and in all of the rooms upstairs
  • a gray, stone-looking laminate floor in our dining room and Aaron's office
  • a backsplash in the kitchen
  • track lighting above the kitchen sink
  • a light that is not a florescent light in the kitchen
  • some new things to our bathroom like medicine cabinets
  • and I won't even get started on our plans for our future kids' rooms and a play room...
I would also like to clarify that by "we would like to add" I mean "my dad or my mom or Aaron's parents or Home Depot or our other friends that are handy would like to add."

Yes, if you didn't know or hadn't guessed, we are not in the least bit handy. Sad, I know.

Let's just say we didn't own a single tool until we got bikes for our birthdays a couple years ago. Since we lived in an apartment on the third floor, we thought it would be a great idea to hang our bikes on the balcony. You know, so they wouldn't take up as much space. So we bought a tool "purse" thing at Target with you know...the basic tools...drill, hammer, screwdrivers, and the like. And we attempted to hang our bikes. And failed. Miserably.

We shied away from "projects" for awhile until one day Aaron thought he could hang this cool framed poem someone made us for our wedding. I told him that it better be straight! I guess I made him a little too nervous. He was trying to hold it straight, hold the hammer, hold the nail...yeah...it fell to the floor and shattered.

We didn't attempt much else in our apartment. Right after we moved into our house, Aaron had to go out of town for a few days. My parents came and stayed with me because I had never been alone for more than one night before then. That worked out perfectly. While they were there, they helped me hang lots of stuff up and we avoided any "bike-like accidents" in our pretty new house.

We were pretty settled for awhile until we started to accumulate some more projects.

Last Christmas, we bought a new TV as our Christmas present to each other. Our awesome friend Matt (as in Matt and Magan) came to help us mount the TV to the wall. Aaron was his trusty assistant. We had also bought a shelf to hang below the TV for the Blu-ray player and such. It took so long to hang the TV that we didn't have time to hang the shelf while Matt was there. For some reason, the next night, we thought we had watched Matt and my dad enough to have some sort of clue on how to do it ourselves.

Yeah...nope.

We put two big holes in the wall with the anchors that didn't even work.

Parents to the rescue again!

I have now sworn off any do-it-ourselves projects. I mean, we can hang a picture frame here or there, but that's about the extent of how much I trust us.

My parents have since come to hang ceiling fans, curtains, and canvases. Our lovely friend Lisa came over a few months ago to help me plan out a picture frame collage and hang it in our living room.

If you can't do something yourself, it's certainly a blessing to know the right kind of people to help you out!

Anyway, back to Saturday...

At Home Depot, the nice lady that helped us was trying to save us some money.

"You know, if you do it yourselves, you save quite a bit of money..."

I just laughed.

"We're not so much the handy people!" we clarified.

Thank goodness for helpful friends and family. And of course, there's the friendly neighborhood Home Depot for the big jobs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment