Sunday, September 16, 2012

about vegetables

When I started dating Aaron, he claimed to be anti-vegetable. Anti-salad. Anti-all that "rabbit food stuff."

Slowly but surely, you know, so he doesn't get too suspicious, I've converted him a little bit here and there.

Now, my husband is quite the vegetable consumer!

He started out with the simple stuff. Corn and green beans. He'd eat those at family gatherings and such.

Next, we worked on broccoli. My mom made broccoli for a dinner one night, and to be a good boyfriend, he tried it. And he actually liked it! Now it's his favorite vegetable! He requests it every week!

After that, I worked in asparagus one night to the meal plan. Again, he liked it! Although he complained about the smell of his pee...but we all do that, right?!

He will also eat yellow squash and zucchini, two of my favorites!

Now, all of those vegetables above are usually eaten warm. He still wasn't so keen on the whole salad thing.

At the beginning of this year, he completely surprised me and ordered a salad at the Mellow Mushroom. And he ate the whole thing! And enjoyed it! I was perplexed!

Since then, he says he had at least 10 salads this year! That's more than all the salads he had eaten for the previous 27 years of his life!

Last week, we had a salad at home that we learned how to make from our friends, Ryan and Aura.

It's baby spinach, grapes, pistachios, feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette.


I'm very proud of my Aaron for being brave and eating salads and vegetables! It might not be a big deal, but I think it's pretty cool! At least now, when our kids don't want to eat vegetables, he'll be on my side...well, for most vegetables. And he'll have to campaign tomatoes. And peppers. Because I HATE them. But I'll take onions. And mushrooms. If mushrooms count as a vegetable?

I digress......

No comments:

Post a Comment