Friday, November 30, 2012

a Friday flashback

I have always loved Christmas trees. They are so very cozy and warm.


Don't you agree?

Well, this Friday flashback is all about Christmas trees.

Let's flashback to...

1987-1992...

When I was little, we lived in upstate New York. Right around here:


We lived on a mountain. My great grandpa Haight owned a lot of land. He gave my dad some to build a house on.

And that's where I grew up.

My dad built our house. We had four-wheelers. My dad hunted. We lived in the middle of nowhere.

I sure wish I remembered it better.

We used to take a trip every winter in the snow to cut down our own Christmas tree.

I have a vague memory of doing this one time in my little pink snowsuit. It was cold.

After Christmas each year, when it was time to take down the tree, my dad and I would head off into the woods. He would have the tree in tow. And we would take that year's tree to our secret "Christmas Tree Fort."

My mom didn't know about our fort. Only me and my dad.

It had decaying trees from years passed. All stood leaned against other trees in the forest to surround a clearing.

And that was our secret fort.

My dad had a couple logs set up as stools for us.

We would go there and sit, and my little Piglet and Pooh stuffed animals would often join us.

My dad was great at making me laugh with funny voices for Piglet and Pooh.

Sometimes we would find long sticks and "fish."

Or we would walk to the edge of the woods where you could look down on the road that ran up the mountain. If you waited long enough, a car would drive by sometimes.

I don't remember much besides just always being insanely happy when I was with my dad and we went on our adventures all over the hill.

I wonder if there are any remnants of our Christmas Tree Fort 20 years later?

No comments:

Post a Comment