Monday, December 10, 2012

a Penny post

I think we could start a book about our many adventures with Penny.

Penny, the Havanese Puppy:  It's Always Something

I'll work on that title.

Saturday, we had a long day of being gone from home so our good friend, Robyn, and her family took Penny to their house for the day.

When we got home around 9:30pm, they had delivered Penny safely back to her crate and she was happy to see us.

We took her out and headed up to bed.

We had been awake since 5:45am, and we were ready to crash.

Of course, Penny had different plans.

We were finally tucked into bed and ready to go to sleep, but Penny was itching. And scratching. And shaking. And huffing. And puffing. And biting at herself.

She would calm down briefly, but start right up again in the next few minutes.

After about an hour of this, Aaron had enough. (I had been drifting in and out of sleep, although I was definitely aware of the commotion).

"What is wrong with her?!" He turned the light on.

I continued to try to ignore it. "I don't know," I said as I rolled over.

He pulled Penny up next to him. "She's all splotchy!"

I resigned myself that I was now going to have to wake up.

"What? Where?"

"She's got red spots all over her stomach!"

Indeed, she did.

We decided to get up and give her a bath. It was now after 11:30.

Penny hates baths, but we doused her good and made sure to scrub her skin and check her for fleas.

She seemed to look fine, other than her skin being abnormally red.

We dried her off and decided I would get up and take her to the vet in the morning if it didn't get any better.

At 12:11, we crawled back into bed with our now wet dog.

She was apparently too cold to scratch for the time being. But it didn't take long until she was dry and it started all over again.

She was on and off the bed, running around. She couldn't get comfortable, poor thing.

I was in and out of sleep, and I knew Aaron was too.

At 3:30, he finally spoke up. "I. Have. Only. Slept. One. Hour. This. Whole. Night."

"I know. We are going to have to put her down in her crate if we are going to get any sleep."

Aaron took her downstairs.

Sleep came for a little while, until her crying was so loud that it woke us back up.

It was another rough couple hours of her crying on and off.

Finally, around 6:30, I went and got her out of her crate and brought her back upstairs.

Nothing had changed.

We were awake for good at this point.

We decided that Aaron would go to Journey, and I would take Penny to the vet as soon as they opened at 9:00am.

She and I went, much to her dismay.

The vet said she definitely had an allergic reaction to something, but we have no idea what it could be.

After she took her allergy medicine, she crashed on the couch for the day.

Poor Penny.




No comments:

Post a Comment