Thursday, December 27, 2012

a Christmas recap

I always get a tiny bit sad on Christmas night.

Christmas is my favorite holiday, and after it's over, 364 days sounds like a really long time until we celebrate it again.

Anyway, today is Thursday, and Christmas decor has already made it back up to the attic at our house. I usually wait until after New Year's to take it down, but we are heading to Passion on New Year's Day. I hated to leave it up for us to have to take down when we get back home.

So, the day after Christmas, we popped in a movie and took it all down. How come it's so much easier to take down than put up? It took us literally 4 hours to put it up, and it was all down in 1 hour. Go figure. I guess it knows the excitement to put it up makes the 4 hours worth it, and the quick clean up makes the sadness of taking it down quick and painless. Like a bandaid.

Meh.

We had a wonderful Christmas holiday.

Christmas Eve was spent wrapping a couple last-minute gifts, spending the afternoon with  the Bauers and our sweet nephew, and having a huge ham dinner with my family.

We came back to our house for our annual tradition of watching A Christmas Story. I couldn't quite stay awake for the whole thing.


Christmas morning, we woke up at 6am and spent our third Christmas together. We read the Christmas Story, which is my favorite part of Christmas morning, and then we prayed together before exchanging gifts.

Penny was so excited to open her gift that she had been sniffing at for a few days under the tree.


She was spoiled, per usual. She better enjoy it now, because once we have kids she will take the backseat. 

I finally got to give Aaron his big gift. He knew about it, but it was still fun.



After we were done with our little Christmas, we changed and headed downtown for Christmas #2 with my family.



We had coffee, read the Christmas Story again, and opened gifts. Aaron and I are finally grown ups and have our very own coffee maker and coffee bean grinder from my parents. Woo hoo!

After a little breakfast Monkey Bread, we said farewell to my folks and drove to the Bauers for Christmas #3.

Of all the days in the whole year, my mom-in-law's oven decided to break on Christmas Eve. So, the ham cooked at my sister-in-law's and we played with Penny until they arrived with lunch.

Here is the madness that is the Bauer Family Christmas. So. Many. Presents.


We had lunch and then opened presents.

We got a lot of loot, but I am super excited about my new iPhone camera 3-in-1 lens. 

After the presents were exchanged, Aaron and I put everything in our car and headed to pick-up our best Christmas gift:  Aaron's best friend and best man, Chad! Chad was on his way to London, and happened to have a 3 hour layover at RDU on Christmas Day. We had not seen Chad since our wedding, and even though we only got to spend an hour with him, it was worth it.




Chad is one of those friends where you just pick up right where you left off effortlessly, no matter how long it's been. Those friends are hard to come by. We love Chad.

We dropped Chad back off at the airport around 5pm, and then headed out for our final Christmas day adventure:  a Christmas movie at the theater with both of our families. That has been a tradition ever since we were engaged.

We came home on Christmas night exhausted, but in the best way.

I do love Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment