Saturday, February 15, 2014

of Valentines gone by...

Aaron and I celebrated our sixth Valentine's Day together yesterday. That was hard to believe. I felt like taking a trip down memory lane...

1. I searched the archives of our old blog to find a post that Aaron had written about our first Valentine's Day together in 2009...

We planned a day on Friday, February 13th to go to the beach.  We couldn’t go on Valentine’s Day because she was singing at Journey on Saturday.  It was a great day.  We went to the beach, cold, yes.  A lot happened that day, but the best thing was we were together and had a fantastic day.  That evening, after explaining a little more about myself, my flaws and defects, letting her know what she’d be in for if we kept this thing going, I told her.  I said, “I love you.” And she couldn’t wait to tell me the same.
Those words are sweet, and sacred.  And I like that I have shared them with my best friend for life.
February 13,2009

2. After much research, I was finally able to remember our second Valentine's Day together in 2010. We were engaged, and Valentine's Day was on a Sunday. So, the day before, we went to Southpoint for dinner and to see the movie Valentine's Day. Aaron found a post on his Facebook Timeline from February 14, 2010 that said we were watching the Winter Olympics and I was commentating (sounds familiar...).
February 14, 2010

3. The next Valentine's Day, we were married, and I distinctly remember this Valentine's Day because I got an awful stomach bug. Thankfully, we had celebrated the weekend before with a trip to the Biltmore House where Aaron gave me my heart necklace that I still wear most days of the week. On actual Valentine's Day, I was so sick that I couldn't eat the special dinner I had planned. I still cooked it for Aaron. It was my first time roasting an entire chicken and the first time I made chocolate mousse (which turned out more like chocolate pudding that time...).
At Biltmore in February 2011, wearing my Valentine's Day necklace.

4. The year after that, 2012, we were in our house. That year we had a low key Valentine's Day at home. We both worked all day, then I made dinner and gave Aaron a band that made his iPod Nano into a watch. He got me beautiful flowers. Oh yeah, Penny was around by then too.

5. Last year, in 2013, I enjoyed my freedom of not having to work anywhere (I hadn't started working at Journey yet and had stopped my nanny job). I sent Aaron off to work after making him a fun breakfast (see picture below), and then I set out on making him a lunch that I thought was quite clever. You can read all about it here. We had dinner at home (which apparently is our tradition...it is such a hassle to go out to eat on actual Valentine's Day), and I made chocolate mousse that turned out WAY better than the first time. My culinary skills had progressed quite a bit.

6. That brings us to this year! We decided to forego presents, but we went out shopping for cards together the weekend before. Aaron struck out on finding a card that he liked, and planned to get his later. I, however, found the most perfect card ever created by a greeting card company. 

The "snowpocalypse" that struck Raleigh ended up foiling Aaron's card and flower plans, but I didn't mind at all. He made me a card that was way better than one he could have bought.

Our sweet neighbors ended up supplying Valentine's Day flowers. They were waiting for us when we got home from the gym.

I made breakfast that included Valentine's Day toast, of course.

We did venture out for a bit in the afternoon. Caribou Coffee was having a BOGO deal. And since we were basically at Crabtree after going to Caribou, we stopped in to walk around. Aaron spent an American Eagle gift card that he still had from his birthday, we traded two Vinylmations (and somehow walked out of the Disney Store without spending any money), and bought pajamas for Graeme that we just couldn't pass up (somehow he and Penny got the only Valentine's Day presents, and I'm pretty sure they don't even know it was a holiday...).
I tried out a new recipe for dinner from my handy Betty Crocker Cookbook that our friend Lisa gave us so long ago. Betty has yet to let me down. It was so tasty.
Herb crusted pork tenderloin, rosemary roasted potatoes, and broccoli.
We had a wonderful, relaxing meal together that ended with chocolate mousse, of course. 

After dinner, we danced in the living room, laughing at the ever-growing bump in between us that makes dancing a little more difficult. We then had the funny, clever idea to dance with a star show around us using our son's swing. Might as well put this swing to use any way we can while it's just sitting here empty!

It was a wonderful Valentine's Day to end six years of celebrating "just the two of us." Next year, we will have another little Valentine to spoil. Although I am sure a homemade dinner and chocolate mousse will still be in order. And probably a date night without the little one on a different night. I have a feeling his grandparents will be more than willing to let us go out...

No comments:

Post a Comment