Friday, February 7, 2014

about my sick car

Aaron and I were very blessed when we got married and my parents gave us the completely paid off car that I had been driving since I got my permit 11 years ago. My dad had bought what is now my car for himself, but ended up giving it to me to drive when I turned 16 since I had learned to drive in it. (He's the best dad.) It's a 2002 Dodge Intrepid. It may be 12 years old, but I love it so. It's sporty and safe and any car that doesn't require a car payment is amazing in general. I'm pretty sad that Dodge doesn't make Intrepids anymore, because I would probably get another one.

My car has hardly given me and Aaron any trouble, despite it's age. Since it's been in our possession, I think we've only had to deal with a dead battery. But, the universe knew that we are due to have a baby in a month, so of course it was time for some unforeseen car trouble. Isn't that just how it always goes?

Now, you must also keep in mind that I know absolutely zero about cars. I can put gas in my car. I can glance at that little oil change sticker that has the mileage on it and compare it to my gauge. I can drive it. Other than those things, I'm useless.

On our way to work Wednesday, I was in front of Aaron. It was a very cold morning, and I noticed about halfway through our ten minute drive that I was still freezing despite my heat blasting.

I then realized that my car was actually blowing frigid cold air instead.

I thought this was odd and was going to mention it to Aaron straightway once we got to work. With another month or so of winter, and with a baby coming soon, I was not keen to drive around with no heat.

Another couple miles down the road, I heard a "ding!" and a little light came on the dash. I wasn't sure what the little light meant, other than it kind of looked like a boat on the water to me. But I figure any light that comes on isn't a good thing probably. I mean, when the gas light comes on, I can fix that. All the other lights...not so much.

At this point we were literally around the corner from work, so I tempted fate and kept driving. I then noticed that the little dial that has a "C" and an "H" was quickly climbing to the "H." And up by the "H" is when the lines turn red. Usually red is a bad color.

As soon as we pulled in the parking lot, I pulled over to the side before parking and rolled my window down. Aaron stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I'm not sure. First of all, I'm still freezing because my heat isn't working. Also there's a red light that just came on that looks like a boat. And that dial is all the way up to the 'H.' Is that bad?"

"YES! Park it right now!"

By the time I rounded the corner of the building and parked, smoke was pouring out of my hood. I was never so glad to not be out and about by myself. I perhaps would have exploded my car. Who knows.

Aaron knows a bit more about cars than me. He looked under the hood and said something about how it had something to do with my coolant. He explained further but I didn't really pay attention. He called his dad then, who has put cars together and stuff. Dave agreed that it was something with coolant but he wouldn't really know until he could come look at it after work. (He's the best dad too.)

Long story short now, Aaron sent me of all people to buy coolant. The Walmart guy thought I was a moron for sure. Aaron filled that up in the afternoon only to watch it leak back out like a waterfall. When Dave looked at it later that night, he said it was probably the water pump. The night after that he brought a car-lifting thing (sense my cluelessness again) to determine that was indeed the problem. Then he gave us a number of a guy who could come fix it so we didn't have to have it towed anywhere.

So, there's a nice man from our old church that's a traveling car mechanic person. He's at Journey working on my poor car right now. Lord willing, it will be home safe and sound tonight. 

We are very thankful it wasn't something worse, and hopefully this will fix my car right up for another few years. (I sure hope it's not on it's downward spiral.)

I do love my car.


Waiting for the car doctor.



No comments:

Post a Comment