Friday, October 5, 2012

a (different) Friday flashback


Last weekend, my parents went home to upstate New York for my mom's 30 year high school reunion. I was born up there and lived there until I was five. All of my family is from up there actually, but now we live all along the east coast.

My great grandma Haight collected glass bottles when she was alive. Her whole house was filled with them. Some she emptied out herself. Some were dug up outside. Some were found by friends and family.

When she died, they got put into storage at my great aunt and uncle's house up north.


Insert here that ever since Aaron and I bought our house, we have wanted to decorate on top of the kitchen cabinets with glass bottles. So far we have collected five. It's been slow going.


When my parents left last week, they said they would try to stop and get some of my grandma's bottles if they had time.

Friday night of last week, I got a voicemail from my mom saying, and I quote, "We hit the mother load on glass bottles!"

We were excited.

After 18:25 on Wednesday, my parents, my brother and his girlfriend, and Aaron and myself, brought three boxes filled with bottles inside the lobby at Journey and sorted them out.

Aaron and I took most of them after everyone else picked a few.

They. are. so. cool.

I spent last evening cleaning them with Windex, sorting them, reading them, and then placing them carefully above our cabinets.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

This is all of them after I wiped them down.
There are pretty bluish ones.
Clear ones.
Brown ones and tiny ones.
And green ones. And that random dark blue one.
Some were funny. What is "Soothing Syrup?"
"My Wife's Salad Dressing" Ha!
An old Mountain Dew bottle!
My great grandma labeled a lot of them with where they were found or who found them. This one says "Debbie and Randy." That's my dad and his older sister. :)
This one was found by my great aunt and great uncle, Ginny and Jim.
If you look closely, this one has our last name on it!
Old, blue mason jar
A lot of the bottles have "Waverly Dump, 1970" written on them. My dad was only 8!
What is "vegetable compound??"
"For the Teeth and Breath"

I put some of the very small ones on the counter.

And there they are! I love them!
I am so thankful to have something from my great grandma passed down to me. I wish I could go back and talk to her to ask her about some of the bottles. One day...


No comments:

Post a Comment