Tuesday, December 31, 2013

a 2013 recap

Can you believe that it is the last day of 2013? It is. December 31st. A whole year has passed. I looked back at my blog from the end of 2012. A year ago. I had just quit my nanny job. My grandparents were in town from Florida. And we were about to head down to Atlanta for Passion 2013 on New Year's Day. There was also this fun post recapping 2012 that I totally forgot I wrote. It was so much fun to remember, that I figure I better write one for 2013 too.

So, here are some highlights from 2013...



January 2013:  We went to Passion in Atlanta with our college group. I started meal planning and budgeting/bill paying (which I am still keeping up with!). We went to the Children's Pastors Coference in Orlando and spent a week at Disney World.

February 2013:  I encountered pink eye for the first time that accompanied strep throat and awfulness. My back had already begun to feel almost back to normal. We began the journey to get pregnant. We went to Infuse by way of stopping in Asheville for fun and staying with my grandparents for a couple days. Penny hated the entire car ride.

March 2013:  I began my part-time job at Journey officially. Smooth and Kelly were beginning the transition to Africa and Aaron was beginning the transition into student ministry. We found out we were pregnant. 

April 2013:  We miscarried. We went on the Middle School Retreat. Aaron had like a million meetings (seriously, looking at the calendar from then, it's a wonder that I saw him at all).

May 2013:  Kevin came to visit. We went to King's Dominion with students (Aaron went twice). 

June 2013:  We had a Journey18:25 camping trip indoors due to a monsoon. Aaron and I took a cruise for our third anniversary. We made a whirlwind trip to Indiana for my cousin's wedding. 

July 2013:  We drove to Florida to visit my family for a week and made a day trip to the Magic Kingdom. Penny had her second birthday. Aaron spoke at a local kids camp for four days. We had a positive pregnancy test. Aaron left for Camp Kid Jam for three days. We had our second pregnancy confirmed by the doctor at 5 weeks along. Aaron went to camp with high school for five days. (July was literally insane.)

August 2013:  Aaron returned from camp just in time to drive to Tennessee to visit my other grandparents for a few days. We had an 8 week appointment and got to see our little miracle baby for the first time. Journey launched two Saturday services and two Sunday services. 

September 2013:  We took our 10th trip in a four month period (at least it felt that way) to go to Infuse. I entered my second trimester with a good report and we announced our pregnancy. Aaron took me to see Taylor Swift. We went on another Middle School Retreat to Black Mountain, NC. (I don't think I have ever travelled so much in such a short time in my entire life.)

October 2013:  Aaron and I celebrated our birthdays. We met John for the first time and saw light at the end of the tunnel. We found out our sweet baby was a boy!

November 2013:  Journey ended Saturday services and went back to three on Sunday. We took a much-needed recovery vacation to Disney. Aaron began to slowly let go of things in student ministry after John was hired. We began getting Graeme's room ready and registered for gifts.

December 2013:  Aaron went on the Journey Student All-Nighter. We brought our time with Journey18:25 to an end (for now). We said goodbye to Robyn and Lisa in Journey Kids (not permanently, but from a work stand point). I entered the third trimester. 



Woah. What a year. We can see God's hand in all of it, and wouldn't trade any of it. 

And as far as my resolutions for the year?


  1. I know that you can never know God enough, but I do feel like I could answer "Yes," to "Do you know Him better now than you did a year ago?" I couldn't help but lean on Him through the hard times of this year, and he always proved faithful. I trust him more today, and even though I went through a lot of ups and downs, He is unchanged and unchanging. And thankfully, He is always ready to forgive.
  2. Despite our schedule of insanity this year, Aaron and I went to the gym very consistently. I'm quite proud of us. There were a few weeks here and there where it didn't happen, but overall, we went (and still go) 4-5 times a week. We eat at home a lot more than we used to, and I love planning the week's meals out. My back is completely better (praise God!) and has been for the majority of the year. Of course now with being pregnant, it hurts because of that every now and then. But it definitely isn't what it was at the end of last year.
  3. Financially, it of course always works out regardless. We've tried to use what God has given us wisely this year, and have never lacked anything. God continues to provide for us, and we have more than we need. I love Dave Ramsey's budgeting tool on his website, and to me, it is worth the $10 a month. This year, I know it will continue to be important to budget our money with our new little addition in the mix.


So, as we enter the year 2014, I am pumped. I cannot believe Aaron and I will have a son this year. We. Are. So. Excited. We also look forward to what God will continue to do at Journey and in Journey Kids as we change some lead people around and shift all of our focus back to that. It is a new start for everything, and we are ready for what God has in store (at least, with Him with us, we are ready).

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment