Tuesday, March 12, 2013

from the past

My friend Jessica is getting married on Friday. Weddings mean more now that I'm married myself. They always make me stop and reflect on my own marriage. I thought it would be fun to skim back through some of my prayer journal entries from our early days of marriage. I was pretty sporadic with my writing back then, but I did find one excerpt that grabbed my attention...

This is from July 29, 2010. Aaron and I had been married for less than two months...

Marriage is awesome. You know that though. Of course, it's not always perfect. We've had our share of disagreements. Sometimes I think no matter what I say, it's the wrong thing. And sometimes I forget who he is, and want him to be who I want or need instead. Help me to be a servant and to love him selflessly no matter what....


I feel like I have grown a lot as a wife since then. Of course, I don't think you can ever stop growing and learning. Marriage is a life-long commitment and can never be something that is "good enough." 

Aaron and I still have disagreements. Rarely, but, we do. And we are still learning how to communicate with each other. Sometimes he says something harmless, but I take it the wrong way. Or sometimes I nag at him too much and complain about his messy side a bit too seriously.

And I am still discovering who he is. What makes him mad. And sad. And happy. What makes him laugh. What hurts his feelings. And what makes his day.

I'm still learning to be selfless. Sometimes, a house chore that I need his help with can just wait until a time when he's not coming home from work after a long day. I might need him to be handyman, but he might need to crash on the couch and read.

And I still completely agree with past me in that marriage is awesome. It is ever-changing, but ever-steady. It is exciting, but comfortable. It is work, but also play.

It is the greatest adventure of my life so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment