Friday, March 22, 2013

a Friday flashback

Before we flashback, you have to meet Brown Bear.







We bought Brown Bear as soon as we knew Penny was coming to live with us, and we then forced it to be her favorite toy. It's the only "upstairs" toy she has (it's the only toy I will allow upstairs permanently...everything else goes down in her toy basket at the end of the day). Brown Bear sleeps with her and travels with her, and she does play with him every day.

We have even bought a back-up Brown Bear in the event of a tragedy. Now, the one she's had since she was a puppy is missing an ear. The new Brown Bear looks new still.

Well, needless to say, if Brown Bear was ever destroyed completely or lost forever, we would be pretty devastated. He's the only surviving toy from her puppy days. And it probably wasn't the best idea to bring original Brown Bear with us on our trip to Tennessee last month...

Let's flashback to...

Wednesday, February 27, 2013...

We were just finishing up our stay with my grandparents. They live in Sevierville, TN, and we stayed across the street from their house in a cozy cabin. We had a wonderful time with them, but it was time for Aaron and I to make our way to Murfreesboro for the next couple of days. Penny, however, was going to make the move from our cabin to their house until we came back through to get her.

I was in the bathroom curling my hair while Aaron packed the suitcases. Penny was sitting in on the bed watching him anxiously. She knew that something was going on when the suitcases came out.

Aaron finished packing our things and loaded them in the car, and then I reminded him to get all of Penny's toys and her crate and take them across the street.

"Where's Brown Bear?" he asked.

"He was on the bed," I replied.

Aaron had already unmade the bed as instructed by the check out procedures of the cabin. He went through the blankets and sheets.

"He's not in here."

I was still in the bathroom with the curling iron. "Check her crate. Maybe he's still in there."

He went to check. "Nope."

"Well, I don't know. He's here somewhere."

Aaron proceeded to look everywhere. He went through Penny's toys in her bag again. He checked under all of the furniture and the cushions. He checked under the bed. The cabin was small, and he looked in every nook and cranny.

At this point, it became a little frustrating.

"What in the world? Do you think he somehow already went over to my grandparents?"

"Maybe I took him over there. I'll go check."

He went across the street to search while I double checked everywhere in the cabin.

We both came up empty-handed again.

"Do you think you might have accidentally packed him in our suitcase?"

"No. I picked things right out of the drawer and put them in the suitcase. Unless he was in a drawer, that didn't happen."

"Okay! Well, unless someone came in to our cabin and stole nothing but a little stuffed squeaky bear, he has to be here somewhere!!"

"I. Know," Aaron rolled his eyes at my dramatics. "He'll turn up. We need to leave."

"Aaron, we can't lose Brown Bear. He's Penny's most special toy."

"I know that. But, I'm sure your Grandma will find him, or we'll find him in one of our bags."

"Well, you could check the suitcase. Just in case."

He glared at me. "It is buried under lots of bags in the trunk."

"I can look. Just give me the keys."

He sighed. "Fine."

We went out to the car. He opened the trunk and unloaded three bags so he could reach our cabin suitcase. He opened it up.

We pulled out clothes and clothes and clothes.

And, lo and behold, there at the very bottom, a little brown face looked up at us.

"Brown Bear!" I exclaimed with relief.

Aaron only stared at it. "Just don't even say anything."

So, I didn't.



No comments:

Post a Comment