Thursday, February 7, 2013

about influence

Two influences speaking the same thing into the life of a person is stronger than just one influence alone.

I probably didn't get that quote quite right. Aaron and our Kids team at Journey say that all of the time in reference to children. That's why we exist as Journey Kids. We are another voice that is here to speak truth to kids. If parents speak truth at home and we speak truth on Sundays, we all have a better chance to influence a child in the way he should go.

Mom and Dad can say one thing over and over again only to have it shoot right out of the other ear. But then Coach says it. Or Small Group Leader says it. Or teacher says it. And it all makes sense.

I think that's true throughout our whole life. We never stop needing community. We never stop needing sound wisdom from others.

Aaron was thinking through something not long ago and kept bringing it up. I kept telling him what I thought of his situation. Yeah, yeah, I know, he'd say.

He then had a phone call with one of his greatest role models, Jim Wideman (Infuse), and got off the phone all excited about what Jim had told him about his situation. He told me what Jim said.

It was the exact same thing I had said. But, hearing it from another trusted source solidified it. And instead of throwing at him that I had been right all along, I just smiled and said Two influences speaking the same thing...

And it proves true again this morning as I sought out advice from a godly friend about a situation. I had talked with Aaron over and over again and could never quite take what he said the right way. You're my husband. You have to say things like that.

But, hearing it from someone else suddenly made everything clear. Oh. Well, now I know the right thing to do.

God Himself said it wasn't good for man to be alone. How important is it then to surround ourselves with community!










No comments:

Post a Comment