Friday, April 5, 2013

a Friday flashback

Happy Friday!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm 25 and Aaron is 29, and our parents still buy us Easter goodies. It's definitely awesome.

However, getting those goodies home can sometimes prove a little difficult...

Let's flashback to...

Easter Sunday, March 31, 2013...

After a busy morning at Journey, Aaron and I went home for an hour to hang out with Penny before we left to go meet my family at Outback Steakhouse for our Easter lunch/dinner.

For as long as I can remember, my family has gone to Outback for Easter. I'm sure when I was little my mom or my grandma would make a big Easter dinner, but every year since we've been in NC for Easter, to Outback we have gone.

When we pulled in, my family was waiting outside. My mom was holding two Easter baskets overflowing with candy goodness, most excitingly:  homemade peanut butter chocolate eggs.

We put the baskets in the backseat of my car and went in to eat dinner. All was well so far.

It was when we got in the car to go home that the unfortunate events began to unfold.

I pulled out onto Capital Boulevard and quickly crossed the four lanes to get to the left turn lane of the next light to make a U-turn. Capital and all Raleigh citizens have a love/hate relationship, I think.

By some chance, I was just in time for a green turn arrow, and I sped up to catch it. As we made the U-turn, the thought of the Easter baskets in the backseat crossed my mind. But it was too late.

We heard a big crash against the back door.

"Oh no," I muttered. I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to know that the back of my car was now covered in Starbursts and Tootsie Rolls and little chocolate eggs and Nerds and the coveted homemade peanut butter eggs.

"Oh no! The candy!" Aaron yelled dramatically.

"Well, that stinks. Just leave it until we get home."

Aaron reached back. "It's fine," I said again, "We'll get it later."

"I know," he said, "I just wanted a Starburst." He held a little pack of Starburst in his hand.

"Oh...well, give me one that's not orange." (I detest the flavor of orange.) He opened the little fun size pack which consisted of one orange Starburst and one pink Starburst. "Yay! I love pink!"

Aaron begrudgingly handed over the pink Starburst and ate the orange one.

I worked on unwrapping my Starburst while driving. It was proving a little difficult. (Don't try it, kids...I'm a bad example.) I had just pulled off the last of the wrapper when the pink candy slipped out of my fingers.

Clank. Clunk. Thud.

"Oh no."

"What? Where did it go?" Aaron asked.

"It's in my car," I said still holding the wrapper.

"Well, yeah..." he said.

"No, I mean it's in my car. It fell down inside the steering wheel."

"What?!" Whitney!"

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to!"

"What's going to happen when it gets hot and you have melting, sticky candy up in your car?!"

"I don't know?! I'm sure it will be fine..." I tried to convince him and myself.

"I'll have to try to get it out when we get home..."

I glanced at him suspiciously picturing him with tools and my steering wheel and raised my eyebrows.

When we got to our destination, I went around to the backseat and started scavenging for all of the fallen candy. Aaron made his way around to my drivers side and started banging and shaking the steering column.

"I can hear it in there rattling around," he said. I came around to stand beside him.

He banged it a few more times until miraculously, a little pink square fell out from somewhere onto the floor of the car.

"Oh boy! My Starburst!" I cheered. I bent down to pick it up and inspect it.

"You're not going to eat that, right?" he said.


"Oh...right...nope..." I grinned sheepishly.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I never knew that could happen! And homemade peanut butter eggs....WHAT? My mom always makes us Easter baskets too (although she refrained this year because we're on a crazy diet), must run in the family! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your Whole30 posts are very interesting...we have been shopping at Whole Foods lately, but as far as Whole30...I'm not so sure yet. :)

      Delete