Friday, August 24, 2012

about my back

Since I referenced my back in the link that most likely lead you here...



Back in April I hurt my back. Don't know how. Or when. Or why.

One evening it hurt different than it had times before. It was my lower left back. And down my lower left thigh.

I kept quiet at first. But it didn't go away. And I had a sinking feeling because this was not unfamiliar to me or my family.

A history of bad backs plagues my dad's side of the family, and more recently my mom's mom. Bad backs in the form of disk problems. Meh.

I mentioned it to my parents after a couple weeks. Slight panic from them because I had the symptoms.

"Go to the doctor." Said them. Said Aaron. Said the responsible me.

But I dislike borderline hate going to the doctor.

After a month of progressively worse pain, I made an appointment.

I do like my doctor even though I don't particularly look forward to the whole doctor experience. He's nice. Dr. Pleasants. How could I not like him with that name?

He asked me about my symptoms. "Sounds like a herniated disk."

Right.

"But let's not move too fast here." Agreed.

He set me up with a steroid pack. Harmless enough.

Also useless. As was the second one.

Moving on to the next least-scary thing:  physical therapy. He set me up with a nice physical therapist in Wake Forest.

I went for two weeks and as much as I tried and she tried, again, useless. The pain was just as bad, and now my left calf had become numb to touch.

So Dr. Pleasants got down to the last options. You know, the scarier ones.

First, an x-ray and MRI was required to verify the actual problem that we all figured.

Being a bit claustrophobic, this was not appealing. But off I went to the Wake Radiology sketchy MRI tractor trailer in Wake Forest. What? Exactly.

I prayed my way through being in a tiny tube to hear the results the next day. Yes. A herniated disk.

They shipped me off to a neurosurgeon.

Well, he was super nice and quite insightful. He laid it out simply enough:

  • I had a couple herniated disks. One bad one in particular.
  • It protruded out and pinched my sciatic nerve, explaining the numbing and pain down into my left leg and foot.
  • It was not life-threatening.
  • I could leave it alone. Ouch.
  • I could have surgery. Permanent. Long recovery. 
  • I could have steroids injected in my spine. Hit or miss. Short recovery.
My dad has had 3 back surgeries. Once you have one, your bound to need more he says. Last time his back was really bad, he had steroid injections. He said they hurt like a sucker. But they did help.

I know a few other family members who had the injections. They all said they would help.

After thinking it over, it was decided this was the best option. No matter my fear of shots and needles. 

Bother indeed.




So, today, I had steroids shot into my spine.

Most. Awful.

I'm a bit of a baby but I tried to be brave. I didn't cry until I got to the car.

Besides numbing my left leg for a couple hours, I won't feel any results for a few days.

I'll let you know how it goes. Praying and hoping and praying that I won't need the other two injections that are temporarily scheduled on my behalf.

After 5 months, I sort of forget how it feels for my back not to hurt.

So here's to believing in my Healer.

And that's the story of my back. But not the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment