Sunday, August 26, 2012

about Journey18:25


Back story first.

During my Junior year of high school, my pastor, Jimmy Carroll, felt called to start a church in North Raleigh. My family immediately felt God's calling to partner with him, his family, and few other families to begin a journey that has completely changed my life.

Journey Church started to rock my world that year. I grew up from the day I was born knowing about God and Jesus and church and Christianity and religion and the Bible and hymns and communion and dress code and scripture and on and on and on.

That stuff is great. But after 17 years of all that great stuff becoming routine, I had lost the simplicity of what it meant to be in a relationship with Jesus. You know? It's not really about all that stuff. I fell in love with Jesus all over again.

At the start of my Senior year, Journey officially launched. Myself, along with rest of the core team were all in. If you have never experienced planting a church, do it. Do it. It is awesome. I am so glad God didn't let me miss this.

As I figured out where I was going to college, my decision was pretty much based on that I had to still be a part of Journey. College was important, but I couldn't imagine being away from what God was doing in this young church that I had a part in.

My best friend, Renee, had always wanted to attend Campbell University. I had always considered it too. It was 30 minutes from home (in the opposite direction, but that was doable). It was a private school (what I had always grown up in). It was a great school.

So, I applied. I got in. I accepted.

Back story now gets into what I'm supposed to talk about.

During college, I lived at home by choice. 

As far as school went, I attended classes and mandatory things. I maintained my best friend-ness with my best friend. That was about it.

I guess this wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but I pretty much totally missed out on a typical college experience.

My focus and priority was mainly with Journey, my small group at the time, and my family.

Looking back, I sort of wish I had experienced more of what college had to offer. College students are interesting to me, yet I feel like I can't relate to most of them.

Aaron, for instance, moved away for college, was very involved, and made most of his good friends in college.

I have none of that.

Again, I wouldn't trade what I did during college. Especially since I started dating Aaron while I was in college and was engaged to him during my senior year! But, you know...there's the what ifs...

Ok, now really, what I'm supposed to talk about.

Journey18:25.

For people ages 18-25.

Journey18:25 is a new ministry that Aaron and I are leading at Journey. It is for college-age people. Most are in college. But some are just working. Or searching.

We have been meeting for two weeks now. It's been great!

It is pretty much totally out of my comfort zone to talk to people I don't know. So, you know, leading a group is definitely out of my comfort zone. But I am doing it! Or trying to!

I am excited about this for these reasons:

  1. I know God has called us to this. And I know from experience I don't want to miss what He calls me to.
  2. I know it will stretch me since I am so uncomfortable doing it.
  3. It is keeping me accountable. I can't challenge them about something I'm not doing.
  4. I am having fun hearing what college is like since I had no idea!
  5. I LOVE doing anything alongside Aaron.
If you are 18-25 or know people who are, send them to Journey Church on Wednesday nights! We meet in STUDIO 4 at 6:45 every Wednesday night. Follow us on Twitter for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment