Thursday, October 2, 2014

about our visit from the tooth fairy's not-so-nice relative, teething

I remember reading somewhere that just when you really feel settled into a pretty perfect routine with your baby...

teething comes along.

Yes, yes it does.

Sophie might not have legs left after this teething business...


Graeme now has two bottom front teeth poking through. They're super cute. He is still pure joy to be around, but teething, coupled with his vaccines last week and some diaper problems, if I may be discreet, has really thrown our little man off. Plus, he has had an awful runny nose and a bad cough/congestion. I am not sure if the latter is due to actually being sick, or if it's just part of teething for him.

Anyway, he has been very clingy, especially to me. (I, of course, don't mind this much.) He's also been a little more fussy during the day. The hardest part has been the nights. We had just settled into continuous nights of almost 12 hour sleep from him, and then all of a sudden:  mayhem.

A couple weeks ago, he started waking up between 5:00-5:30am and either taking a really long time to fall back asleep or not falling back asleep. A couple mornings he seemed really hungry when he woke that early so I fed him and then he would go back to sleep. I was unsure if he was just going through a growth spurt or what. We tried adding the dreamfeed again, but he still woke up before 6:00am. We pushed his bedtime back a little, but that also failed to do anything.

Finally, we noticed the tooth, and that seemed to explain his disrupted nights. The next week, he acquired the runny nose, and then he went in for his vaccines. He's never really had trouble with having his shots in the past, but this time they did a number on him. We had to give him Tylenol for the second time ever. Most nights last week found him having a hard time getting to sleep and then waking up throughout the night. He usually just needed to be picked up and held for a few minutes and would fall back asleep. I tried those teething tablets, and I guess they would help him. It's hard to say. Our pediatrician said she was "indifferent" about them...I think I would agree.

I felt so bad for him, and I was getting worn out! Over this past weekend, he slept a little better, but still needed some hugs during the night and a feeding one early morning. On Monday, his second tooth was on its way through, and I was talking to one of my neighbors. She mentioned an amber teething necklace might help him.

I knew some of my mom friends used them, so yesterday I asked a couple of them their thoughts on them. (I'm a bit of a skeptic sometimes.)

However, I trust all of the people that I talked to that like them, and the necklaces aren't too expensive. I figured it didn't hurt to try. I finished work early yesterday, and since my mom had Graeme, I drove to Cary to pick one up at a baby boutique. 

Now, it has only been less than 24 hours since he's worn it. Last night, I didn't want to leave it around his neck, so I took the advice of my friend and wrapped it around his ankle twice before I put his pajamas on.

I'm not saying I'm a 100% believer yet, but I will say this:  It was the first night in over two weeks that Graeme went to bed at his normal time (6:45pm) and slept without even a peep until 6:30am. That's the 12 hours that we've all been missing!

So, like I said, it hasn't been long enough for me to say, "Yes! Go buy these beads! They will solve all of your problems!"

I will definitely keep you posted though. And I will pray that last night wasn't a fluke!

Another plus of the beads:  they're super adorable.






No comments:

Post a Comment