Monday, October 27, 2014

about our impending trip

Aaron is in Charlotte tonight for the Orange Tour. It was one of those trips where I was going to go and take Graeme, but it's only for one night. Graeme is at an age where it's much easier to keep him at home and on his routine. So, we stayed home.

If I'm being honest, I'm a total baby about Aaron being gone, even for just one night! I feel like I've gotten a little better since when we first got married when I would cry any time he was gone overnight. It's a little less lonely with Penny and Graeme here, and I usually try to keep busy during the day. I am not cut out for living alone, for sure! I have great respect for wives and moms who have husbands in the service or jobs that keep them traveling and out late often. And single parents:  you guys are amazing. I know I can't complain at all.

Tonight, after Graeme went to bed, I came down and ate dinner and watched Wheel of Fortune by myself. Aaron and I watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune almost every night. We're cool like that. It's definitely not the same watching it without him. Anyway, now I figure I have time to do a little writing on the trusty blog.



We leave for Disney World in less than two weeks! Ah!

Can. Not. Wait.

Now, for most things in life, I find it helpful for me to not have unrealistic expectations. I take sudden changes or things not going how I thought they would go pretty hard. Aaron hates to give me definitive answers on his schedule a lot of times because he knows I am easily upset if things don't pan out as planned. I am trying to be better at this.

That being said, while I would love to imagine that every waking moment of our Disney trip with a 7.5 month old will be like this...

Happy baby I don't know
I am also fully aware that every moment could very well be like this...

Very sad baby I don't know

We definitely realize that taking a baby to Disney World probably isn't the easiest thing, but we are so excited to take Graeme. Hopefully, if we try to follow his schedule as close to normal as possible, take things slow, and give him plenty of time for rest, we will all have a fabulous time. I am not worried about it at all, and I really think he's going to do great.

We will take him on his very first flight to get there. I am trying to not worry about that either. We are due to take off at 12:05pm, which is very close to a nap time for him. I'm hoping that after the initial excitement of the airplane wears off, he will sleep for most of the flight. Our plan (currently) is to check two big suitcases and carry on the stroller, the Baby Bjorn, and a big backpack that will be our diaper bag for the week. We don't need a carseat because we will be riding buses to and from the airport and to get everywhere in Disney World.

Disney Resorts accept packages labeled with your arrival date and store them for you until you get there. With this being so, we plan to ship anything that can be thrown away as the week goes on so that we don't have to take it on the plane. This includes: diapers, wipes, ready-to-feed bottles, and baby food pouches. The goal is to take one-time-use-then-throw-away food for the week for Graeme. Aaron and I are trying the Disney Dining Plan for the first time since it is included for free in the package we bought. That takes care of food for everyone!

I put in a request for a crib for our hotel room. I will take some crib sheets for Graeme, but if the crib is anything like a pack-n-play, he probably won't sleep well in it per our past experiences. (Of course, he could be so worn out every day that he might sleep fine!) Our room should also have an extra bed, so he could maybe sleep there if I built an acceptable pillow fort for him. Ha. Of course, he might end up in bed with us. We all know what great sleep that is for everyone...not!

We arrive on a Monday afternoon and have no big plans for that night. We may try to meet up with some friends for dinner at Downtown Disney. 

On Tuesday, we will visit the most wonderful, magical place, my personal favorite:  The Magic Kingdom. I could easily give up the other three parks and only ever go here. Aaron would not agree and probably leave me in the Magic Kingdom by myself to hop around to the others, so I will choose to visit them as well from time to time. Magic Kingdom, is of course, all-around magical. It also has a lot of rides that are baby-friendly, so assuming Graeme isn't terrified of them, that should be fun. The few rides he can't join us on, Aaron and I can take turns riding. Last time we went, I was pregnant and had to miss out on all of the roller coasters, so I'm looking forward to them. We also want to have a lock of Graeme's hair cut at the Main Street Barber Shop. And he will be meeting Mickey Mouse before we leave or I will cry. That is my one expectation that is engrained in my head for sure.

On Wednesday, the plan is to visit Animal Kingdom. We figure this park is the other one best suited to a baby. There isn't a ton to do, the rides are few and far between, it always closes early, and there are, of course, animals to see! Our favorite thing at Animal Kingdom in the Finding Nemo show. And the safari should be fun too.

Thursday, we will take it easy in the morning and probably try to visit the pool. That evening, we will enter Magic Kingdom again for Mickey's Christmas Party. Aaron and I did this last year for the first time, and it was so fun! They kick everyone out the of park that doesn't have tickets for the party. There are free cookies and hot chocolate everywhere. It snows on Main Street. There are special fireworks and characters out and about. And all of the rides are open with way shorter lines! The party lasts until 1:00am. I highly, highly doubt we will be there that long. But, this will be the one night that we will plan to be out late, and hopefully Graeme will sleep in his stroller or in the carrier. I looked into a bunch of noise-cancelling headphones, and I think I will buy these ear plug things that are for babies and kids. They are cheap, so if they don't work or he hates them, no harm done.

Friday is our last day, and our flight home leaves around 3:00pm. This means we will probably start the trip to the airport around noon. It's always super sad to leave Disney. I still cry when this happens. We will have the rest of the weekend to relax though, and we are planning to start our Christmas decorating (Mickey's party should get us in the holiday spirit!).

I can't wait to experience this with our baby. No matter what happens, I know we will have fun memories and stories to tell.


Well, there's a tentative run-down of our trip barring any strange circumstances. I know you were all dying to know these thrilling details...just passing the time while I'm missing my husband, remember?! :)

Me, Aaron, and Graeme at Disney World in November 2013 with our buddy Stitch




2 comments:

  1. We are the opposite, any time Eric was gone for the night I used to be like "sweet, Sex and the City reruns all night long!" and then pregnancy made me paranoid and I would panic that something would happen to him and I would be a single mother. I'm crazy. Sounds like a great trip! I'm sure it will be fantastic even if it doesn't go exactly according to plan and hopefully Graeme is too young to be scared by characters (I'm betting on that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I guess I do enjoy watching whatever I want, but the novelty of that doesn't quite outweigh my loneliness. :) And of course, now, I'm super paranoid about EVERYTHING. "Oh my gosh, when I take Penny out late at night I will be kidnapped and Graeme will be all alone and NO ONE WILL KNOW..." Stuff like that. I'm a little crazy during these times.

      Thanks for the travel well wishes! I am determined to make the most of every situation we may encounter! :)

      Delete