Thursday, May 15, 2014

about being a mom

A whole week slipped away from me, didn't it?

There were several nights that I wanted to sit down and write after Graeme was in bed, but doing something with Aaron always sounded better when it came down to it. Tonight our something is "computer time," so here I am.

Let's see then.



I have a seven-week-old now. I was looking back at some of my pregnancy update posts. I remember feeling like Graeme was taking for-ev-er to get here. Now he is here. And seven weeks have gone by. Seven weeks of pregnancy sure felt like they went by slower.

Graeme on his seven week birthday.





Graeme turned seven weeks on my first Mother's Day. I had a great weekend celebrating. My boys spoiled me with a new watch and sweet cards. 

I don't think I will ever be sad about a new watch.





Being a mother is...well, so many things really...I don't where to start. I guess in seven weeks, here are some things that I have started to figure out...


  1. It's true that the love you immediately have for your child is like no other. I think it's almost impossible to understand unless you have experienced it.
  2. While we love Graeme immensely and unconditionally, I am glad he is not the center of our world. Our life might have paused for a couple weeks when he arrived, but now he is integrated into our family and our life that we had before he came along (with some tweaks here and there of course!). We don't think he is too young to already begin to see what it means to be selfless. Daddy can come home from work a little early so Mommy can go to the gym before bedtime. Graeme can sit in his swing so Mommy can help Daddy get out of the door for work. Penny can cut back on how many times she goes outside because Whitney just can't take her as much with Graeme here. Mommy can skip breakfast because after getting everyone else fed and ready for the day, it's time for lunch anyway. You get the idea.
  3. I know some people are against Babywise, but we read it before Graeme was born, and I feel like it just makes sense for the most part. We are not doing everything the book suggests, but we are following the basics. I think it is good for all of us. I don't believe we are just lucky to have a kid that sleeps so well at night. I believe we are training him to do so. I also know that Babywise is not for everyone. But it's working for us so far.
  4. We are crazy thankful to have our parents and siblings in town. I CANNOT imagine having a baby without some sort of family around. We have had the privilege of going on several dates already and have a one-night getaway booked for our anniversary next month. I miss Graeme when we leave him, and I know I'll miss him when we leave him overnight, but it's oh-so-worth it to have time with just Aaron. If you aren't near family, you could find some friends that have kids so you can trade off babysitting to have date nights. I think it's so important.
  5. I love having a routine and my days and tasks planned out. But I also love that I am learning to be okay with letting the laundry sit on the futon for three days, the blog going untouched for a week, and the bed left unmade for a day or two. Because loving on my son and my husband is way more fun than doing any of those things.
  6. Every time I start to get frustrated about something that's not getting done, a nap that's not being taken as planned, or anything else that's worrisome, I stop. And I think about how one day I will have time to do what I want because Graeme will be at school or grown up and gone, and how much I will miss him. Or I think about how he won't want to snuggle with Mommy for naps anymore one day, and I'll want him to so much. Then, the frustrating thing isn't very frustrating at all.
  7. God has given me everything I need to be the mom that Graeme needs. So if I ever feel like I'm not cut out for this, I know that I actually am.

There's so much more, but we'll stop for now. Plus, seven is my favorite number.

This boy was made for me, and I was made for him.




No comments:

Post a Comment