Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Graeme is 20 months old!

Even when time seems to drag pregnancy-wise, the time it takes Graeme to turn another month older flies by.

On Monday he turned 20 months old and somehow we are just four months away from his second birthday. I feel like I JUST planned his first birthday party! And I feel like he will turn two before I can even blink.

At his birthday party!


Our little (but very tall) Graeme Grayson is as adorable as ever and has grown so much, so fast. Yes, he is still tall for his age, and we are still at a loss where his height comes from! I'm thinking one day he will even out, but who knows...maybe he will tower over us by the time he's in middle school! He's been wearing 2T clothes for a few months now and certain things he wears are 3T to be long enough for him.

If this is our future...we are clueless.


His speech and vocabulary blow my mind every day. I recently found a video of him saying "Batman" when he was only ten or eleven months old, and that was not his first word. It's hard to remember a time when he wasn't talking. He hasn't stopped since he started and seems to add at least one new word every day. He says or tries to say anything we ask him to and speaks in little sentences a lot of the time. His memory is amazing as well and he will randomly bring up something that happened a couple of weeks ago.

For example, one day he and I were sitting outside watching cars and trucks drive by. A truck drove out of the neighborhood and when it hit a bump, a hard hat fell out of the back. Well, this was very intriguing to Graeme. Over and over he said, "Red truck drop hat!" We talked about whether the truck would come back to get it when after a few minutes a car stopped next to it. A boy got out of the car and took the hat. This was even more interesting to Graeme. "Boy took hat!" And then we wondered whether or not he would give it back to the red truck. Even now, weeks later, he will sometimes bring up the red truck, hard hat, and boy.

I would just love to see inside his little brain sometimes.

What do you think about, little one?


Sometime in the last month he suddenly went from saying "Dada" to "Daddy" (except it sounds more like "Dah-ee"). So very cute. He has a similar way of pronouncing Penny ("Peh-ee"). I am still "Mama." One of my favorite new things he says is "Hi, Buddy (Buh-ee)!" I say "Hi, Buddy," to him all of the time, and one day he said it back to me. And now he says it to me a lot. Every once in awhile he will say it to me before I say it to him. I so wish I could get it on video. I love that we are buddies.






What else? 

He has all four one year molars in and accounted for and is working on the two canines on the bottom currently (the top ones are in). Teething is never too bad with him although it does cause some very early morning wake ups...5:00am is never fun to see.

We tried potty training for one day, but decided to hold off as he was becoming a bit scared of even sitting on the potty. He gets the concept, but now I am at a point where it sounds like way too much work for the ninth month of pregnancy. Oh well. Diapers for everyone for a bit longer!

And little diaper butts are adorable.


We've learned that he is not a fan of change. At all. (He may get this from me...and by "may," I mean he totally does.) I made him something to hang on the wall above his crib. He hysterically refused to get in bed until we took it down. And then he was scared to go to bed for a few nights afterwards. Goodness. A week later I converted his highchair to a booster seat thinking a "big boy chair" would be exciting. He cried and cried big, sad tears and wouldn't let me pry him off of me to sit in it until it was back to "normal."

He did not appreciate the cuteness at all.


I figure neither of these things are at all worth fighting him about right now. Eventually, he will not be terrified of hanging yarn above his bed or a big boy booster seat. What a funny, interesting boy he is.

Anyway.

Graeme is pure joy and I am so excited to see him become a big brother sometime in the next few weeks. Even if he has a hard time adjusting, it will only be for a season, and eventually he will not remember a time without having a sister. 

We, on the other hand, are definitely cherishing all of the time we have and have had with only him around. I am so thankful for the 20-21 months we have had with just him. He has set the bar pretty high as far as being an absolutely amazing kid!

We love you, Graeme!


1 comment:

  1. OMG the time dragging pregnancy wise but FLYING in toddler age time is so true! I don't even understand it but it is happening! I was curious about how the potty training went, as a fellow member of the expecting 2 under 2 club. I heard that a new baby can cause regressions anyway (happened to my friend with her 4 yo!) so I agree with you its better to just wait until everyone has adjusted to life as a family of four. The good news is holiday season usually flies by so hopefully your new addition will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete